Sunday, March 4, 2012

Food education in schools

     With Spencer being in Culinary school there is a lot of food talk at our house. The subject came up about nutrition and cooking and how it is not something we are really taught in school.

We began to wonder why. Why is Health something you only take for a semester in high school and all they really talk about is STDs, but  PE is something required to take all though school?
      It has been proven that exercise is not to only key factor to staying healthy or fit, but a good diet also. If food is something we need everyday from the time we are born to the day we die why are we not taught this in school.
O it's up to the parents to teach their kids. Well that is a load of crap because we all know it doesn't really happen. I am not saying everyone is a bad parent but it is something over looked by many people. I think children should be exposed to food education from the time they enter school. I already have a system figured out too.

When the kids enter school. k-3 they spend 45 min a week with a nutrition teacher or chef teacher and go over basic fruit and vegetable identification. The teacher would work with the whole school alternating days kind of how the music programs are run now. The kids would be able to see the different foods and try them. It would be really fun and educational. no homework involved just exposure to food. Them when they get older like 4-6 grade they could have a co-cooricular club that is a cooking club to get these kids using ingredients and learning how to cook things for themselves.

In jr high and high school they could require a nutrition class or some kind to accompany the PE education. There nutrition class would also introduce healthy recipes for kids.

My plan might have a few bugs in it but i think it sounds pretty dang good.

I mean I don't understand why the states have put so much emphasis on art or music education  and 0 emphasis on food education when like i said previously food is essential.

I am happy my husband is learning all of this stuff now so when we have kids we can teach them. Part of it is the health benefit but also just being able to be self sufficient and making things from scratch even if they are brownies ( which by the way I am about to make by scratch and I never have).

I really feel like my eyes are being opened to me in the world of food. I am infer more eye opening experiences since Spencer just started school, but I am enjoying my second hand education. I think learning about food is very important and it is fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment